How to Make a Dog Collar
I love dogs accessories so it occurred to me for this project to make a dog collar, I hope you like it.
For this project I’m going to make a collar collar with her (or his) name, it’s very cheap, easy and fast to make. Most people have all the necessary materials at home. And it looks great too!
- fabric pieces (You can use leftover fabric from other projects)
- Measuring tape
- Velcro (You can use buttons)
2. Put your dogs collar on her/him, when it fits well ( one or two fingers should fit easily between the collar and his/her neck), take it off and measure it.
3. My dog’s collar is 10 inches long, so I cut the fabric 11 inches long by 3 inches wide, I leave a bit extra to have some room free for sewing.
4. Find the middle of the fabric, it doesn’t have to be perfect, this is where the name goes.
5. I decided to embroider the name, but if you want you can make it easier with fabric paint. Trace his/her name in pencil so you can follow the lines later, weave the letters gradually:
6. When finished, turn the fabric upside down so you can sew it more easily, you can do this with a sewing machine but if you don’t have one, don’t worry, it’s really easy, just take a needle and thread and follow the edge of the fabric:
7. Turn the strip slowly inside out:
8. Now we just need to close the sides, fold the fabric in and try to make it as straight as possible so the sides look symmetrical.
9. You are ready to make the flower. I chose fabric that has color on both sides to make it easier to assemble and not look ugly on the back. Sometimes the fabric has a little unstitched edges, leave them like that, It’s going to give a special touch to the edge of the flower:
10. Cut the fabric approximately 15 inches long by 2.5 inches wide. It should be a rectangle. Here’s the difficult part, we need to fold the fabric to make the flower:
11. Leave an inch or two at the end so you can close the flower by passing the left over fabric behind the rest:
12. Open the flower with your fingers and hold the underside, you can place pins to hold the shape while preparing the needle and thread for sewing. Sew the bottom of the flower until you feel like the it is pretty sturdy:
13. Cut the excess fabric from the bottom.
14. Your flower is ready, it just needs to bloom, open it and place it where you want on the collar and sew.
15. The last step is to cut strips of velcro that match either side of the collar, glue or sew them, be careful, pay attention how the collar is going to close, one of the velcro strips is going up and one down:
The collar is ready to go, I gave it a special touch by placing a crystal bead in the middle of the flower, you can use buttons or do anything else, be creative! It all depends on the personality of your dog.
Hope you enjoy it!