Fashion & Beauty

Do you Think Brown and Black Go Well Together?

Do you think brown and black go well together

All color lovers have to have this discussion at some point. Do you think brown and black go well together?

Ever since I was a kid I was obsessed with the idea of making my own color combinations for everything I wear. I loved choosing the shoe lace colors that went well with my dresses and my glittery hair accessories, I was obsessed. I used to tell my aunts when I thought their outfits didn’t matched, it’s funny that they actually listened to 3 year old me.

Do you think brown and black go well together

So one day I heard somebody on TV saying that brown and black didn’t go well together, and the little color obsessed girl I was couldn’t stop thinking about it. I tried so hard to never find myself wearing the two, until last Saturday morning.

I went to downtown San Jose for a walk and some doodling. Those days, when I’m carrying my notebook and a big handbag with lots of markers, I appreciate a comfy outfit. I wore a patterned dress from a Mexican designer I admire. I’ve had it since I was in college, ugh a long time ago! I love the long sleeves especially since the weather is getting colder. I added some brown leggings because they were warm and black tennis shoes because they were comfortable. Wait, WHAT? I didn’t even think about it, brown and black together.

Do you think brown and black go well together

I guess lately I just started discovering that there is no wrong when we talk about color combinations, if it makes you happy, who cares? But I will confess, there is a small part of me that doesn’t know if I should or shouldn’t wear those two again, please, HELP! What do you think? Do you wear black and brown together? How do you do it?

14 Responses

1. Sasha Kerdel says:

Super cute! Love it!

2. Corlie says:

Hi Elba! I know about the brown and black question, it’s always really confused me. I love black and brown together and completely fail to see how it doesn’t fit! Growing up in Africa saying something like that makes absolutely no sense, so from an African perspective, brown and black absolutely go together :)
    Brown leggings, black riding boots, a long snuggly black jersey (sweater in american i think) equals stunning. One of my favourite handbags has brown and black suede squares sewn into patches, will see if i can put up an instagram pic for you!

• You know what, I’m sure this was just a crazy trend I heard a while back and never forgot ha ha. I agree with you, brown leggings and black riding boots sound like a great combination. You should totally share me the picture of your handbag :) My favorite one is from Oaxaca, Mexico and it is turquoise with navy blue flowers, really pretty.

3. Mrs. ShuGar says:

Yes! I totally know what you mean! I remember this was a complete no-no to even consider this. Never, ever should that combo be attempted! Haha! But, now. I do see fashion using this more often. I especially like to use it with black leggings and brown boots. I think that combo is super sweet.

You sound like me as a little girl. I used to love dressing up and combining clothes together. I still do!

• I remember that No-No time. My sister still insists that I should never wear them together. I don’t know, I think they don’t look bad at all. I can see myself wearing black leggings and brown boots all the time.

4. Rena says:

To be honest I like it really to wear black and brown together, especially for my work outfits. Then I wear brown shoes, a brown belt, a brown bag and a black skinny for example.

And I like you really in this comfy and cute look, the brown and black matches here also perfect together <3

xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena

5. June says:

Even I’ve heard this but I dont think they look bad together. I think both are really versatile colors and are great with other colors and each other too! Lovely pics! that wall is amazing! Have a great weekend :)
    xx

6. Oh they sure go well together and you’ve got a cool and colorful outfit here Elba. I like it! I love the background too, fits perfectly with your blog. Happy weekend hun!

x Donah

7. Meghan Silva says:

I have to say I adore brown and black together. Especially the copperish kind of brown tones with black. Great pictures!! Hope you have a gorgeous week ahead.

Meg|MeghanSilva.blogspot.com