Dresser Makeover with SW Color of The Year 2015
In case you have not heard the news, Sherwin Williams announced the color of the year 2015 a few days ago, the lucky color, Coral Reef (SW 6606).
When I saw it I knew I had to cover something with it, I just love the refreshing, lively, vibrant vibe of this color.
In other great new, I created my first project for the Sherwin Williams Latino page, this incredible dresser transformation with the color of the year 2015: Dresser in Coral Reef. This is really exciting for me, can you imagine the amount of colorful projects I have in mind using the materials and paint from Sherwin Williams? Well, from now on I will be sharing ideas and tips that you are going to love!
Check out the full article in Spanish here.
Dresser Makeover with SW Color of The Year 2015
Our bedroom looked so boring with the dark brown dresser that we bought a few months ago. We chose it because well, it was the only one we found in that size, that was just perfect for our space.
Although the dresser was functional, every morning while I was using it, I thought about how much I would love to change the color. I really wanted to try it but, I had never painted laminate furniture and I was scared to ruin it.
A few days ago when Sherwin Williams announced the color of the year 2015, a vibrant, refreshing and cheerful color called Coral Reef (SW 6606), I saw it and thought, wow! my dark dull dresser would look amazing in that color!
So I ran to the Sherwin Williams store to learn everything I could about how to paint laminate furniture. I was surprised to find all the material I needed, it was super easy. It was exciting to discover that it was possible to cover that dark colored surface with an energetic and cheerful new color.
For a project like this one you don’t need a lot of materials and the steps are really simple. I’m sure you have a piece of boring furniture around the house that could use some color to breathe some life into it, am I right?
- Paint: 2 Quarts of Interior Acrylic Latex Paint, Coral Reef (SW 6606). Emerald Line. Semi-gloss
- 2 Quarts Multi-Purpose Latex Primer/Sealer
- 3M™ Pro Grade No Slip Grip™ Sandpaper. 220 Very Fine
- 2 Contractor Series® Soft Woven Roller Cover 9” width ¼ Nap
- Heavy Duty 9″ Roller Frame with 5 Wire Cage Frame
- Black Tray Liner 9”Sherwin-Williams® White China
- 2 Bristle Chip Brushes 2”
1. Before you begin, prepare your workspace. I used a plastic cover that I had at home from a past project. You can use paper, plastic bags or a piece of cloth to cover the floor and prevent it from getting dirty while painting.
2. Start by sanding the furniture. I used a fine grit sandpaper that worked perfectly, it was quick, easy and didn’t leave any visible scratches.
3. Apply the primer. They recommended the Multi-Purpose Latex Primer/Sealer, which works great on any surface and is economical. I also used a 9” width ¼ Nap roller. This size roller is perfect for covering smooth and slippery surfaces such as laminate furniture. Two layers of primer were enough. At the end of the second layer, my dresser looked completely white and it was ready for the first layer of color.
4. Paint. The Sherwin Williams Emerald line is one of the best on the market. The paint finish is smooth, soft and the color is amazing and vibrant. I recommend the Semi-Gloss finish for indoor furniture, it’s easier to clean dust and protects the surface from liquids and grease. I also used the same size roller and a 2 ” brush for corners and other small spaces. Two coats of paint was enough.
5. As an extra detail, I decided to add a couple of handles to my dresser. It was a great idea because now my furniture looks brand new and modern. If your furniture already has handles, you can replace them with new ones for a special different touch. If not, you have to measure and mark where you want the handles.
6. When you have the marks, make the holes using a drill. It’s faster and easier.
7. The last thing you need to do is add the handles with the help of a screwdriver.
It’s that easy, when the new color is ready and the handles are placed, you are ready to enjoy and show off your renovated piece of furniture!!
If you have any questions about how to paint any piece of furniture that you have at home, please don’t hesitate and ask somebody on the Sherwin Williams stores. They can recommend the best tools and materials that are ideal for any project or surface you have in mind.
I’m so happy with my new colorful dresser. The color looks amazing and gives so much life to my bedroom. I can’t wait to see more spaces full of life with the new color of the year 2015, coral reef, are you loving it too?
Do you want to see what other colors are going to be trending in 2015? Check out the amazing collections of colors in the Sherwin Williams Colormix™ 2015.
Disclosure: This post was created in partnership with Sherwin Williams. All pictures and opinions are my own. Thanks for supporting the sponsors that allow me to create new and special content like this for Live Colorful.