BEHIND THE SCENES: Our First Month Working Remotely
One of the hardest things about working with people remotely is communication. Here are some great tools and applications that have helped us to make communication easy and organize our projects.
Recently my sister and I started working together but living in different countries has made things a bit tricky. Lali lives in Mexico City and I’m in California. We make crafts, take pictures and share ideas and inspiration everyday. We’ll try to share a behind the scenes every month so so you can get to know us better and hopefully we can give you some advice about collaborating online, blogging, creative business, design process, working with family and more.
Two months ago my sister came to California to visit us. She helped me a lot with projects on the blog and we had a great time crafting together.
We both love color, designing and creating things. So Just before she left I invited her to join me on Live Colorful.
It has been a great month and we have learned a lot.
One of the most important things, has been learning to communicate, since we live in different countries. Lali is in Mexico City, and I’m in California.
We found some great solutions and we have been using them for the past month with great success.
- TeamViewer. Our favorite things about TeamViewer is getting to share “presentations”. With a presentation you can share your screen with another person. We use it to explain things that will be too hard to explain on FaceTime.
- Trello. Trello is a free, flexible, and visual way to organize anything and share it with anyone. We started using it before Lali left to practice a little bit. Here is an example of how we use Trello: Let’s say we decided to make a DIY project inspired by Frida Kahlo. The one of us in charge of that project writes down all the steps like buying material, taking pictures, writing the article and sharing on social media. We work on the steps and mark them as done. With Trello we both get to know how the process of a project is going at any time.
- Pinterest. Pinterest secret boards are heaven for us. We collect ideas and inspiration from the web or upload images from things we see and think would be a really cute project for the blog. Thanks to Pinterest secret boards we don’t need to email pictures every time we find a cool idea.
- FaceTime. We FaceTime every day, at least for a few minutes just to check out what we need to finish and who is in charge of what and when. FaceTime is also a great way to help each other when we have a question related to crafting, how a project is looking or styling pictures.
THE FUN OF WORKING TOGETHER:
- We started asking each other about what we are going to eat each day. Especially if there is something to brag about. Like yesterday, that Lali cooked chilaquiles and I was so jealous looking at her on the camera eating my eggs.
- Lali thinks that getting to see Jax everyday is the coolest thing ever. Sometimes I take advantage of the idea and leave the iPad on the floor so Lali can “take care of Jax” while I’m crafting or taking pictures.
Jax is our #1 assistant. He normally sits down and plays with his toys while we are working. This cute picture is from two days ago when I was taking pictures for this post.
THE DIFFICULTY OF WORKING TOGETHER:
- One of the hardest things has been finding the perfect time to call each other since we live in different time zones.
OUR LIVES THIS MONTH:
This month my mother in law came to visit us to California and we went to Lake Tahoe to spend a weekend.
Here is a picture of me and Jax while he played with sand for the first time. It was such a sweet moment.
Lali has been working on a DIY project that it has been taking forever (Sneak peek in picture #1). But we are both excited about it and can’t wait to share it with you next week.
She also went to the Soumaya Museum in Mexico City last Tuesday. She said it was great so totally recommend it to anyone who visits Mexico City one of these days.
It has been a great month for the blog and for both of us. We are really enjoying collaborating and brainstorming together. Blogging can be lonely sometimes, so it’s great to have someone to share ideas and feedback with.
And we are seeing each other in a few weeks in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico! We’ll work on some projects down there and of course, we can’t wait to enjoy the beach, sun and the beautiful colors of Mexico.