How to Make a Necklace with Washi Tape
Washi tape rocks and I’m going to tell you why. If you are one of those people that love pretty patterns and don’t feel confident about drawing or sketching, well, washi tape is what you should use to decorate any kind of surface and you will instantly have a pretty colorful design.
I received this book to review and shared it with you a few weeks back, Washi Tape Crafts: 110 Ways to Decorate Just About Anything by Amy Anderson founder of WashiTapeCrafts.com and ModPodgeRocksBlog.com. When I saw the box in the mail I instantly ran to open it. The book is really cute, small with approximately 110 washi tape projects and 10 washi tape mini rolls, it’s a fatty.
My favorite part about the book was getting to know more about washi tape, the origin of the material and some tricks to use it correctly. That part was interesting and useful.
Some of the DIY projects in the book are basic and seem really easy, you will love those because you can just make them while waiting in the doctor’s office or listening to music in the few minutes before bedtime.
I personally enjoyed looking at the jewelry projects because honestly, I didn’t think about using washi tape as something to wear until I saw it in the book.
So inspired by Washi Tape Crafts I made this necklace. It was easy and fun.
To make a necklace with washi tape you’ll need:
- A circular piece of basswood
- Washi tape
- Faux suede cord
- Jump ring
- Mod Podge and a brush
- Start by perforating the basswood circle. You can use a small drill to make the hole or a nail and hammer.
- Decorate the basswood with the washi tape. Add the tape in lines and at the end cut the excess of washi tape from the border.
- Add one or two layers of Mod Podge to protect the washi tape from water. Wait like an hour or until it’s dry.
- Measure and cut a piece of faux suede cord. Add the jump ring, the cord and add a few beads (optional) as a cute detail and close the necklace.
- That easy and you have a necklace with an adorable design on it.
I wish some of the projects, especially the complicated ones had more detailed steps to make them. The good thing about the book is that there are tons of projects! for the home, for you, for your office and even seasonal and for event decor, so that got me excited and I will admit that I love these kinds of cute books to use to decorate my coffee table because they make me feel happy.
Get more inspiration and info about the book HERE.