The Day of the Dead is one of my favorite celebrations. I love it not only because it is so colorful, but also because it makes me think about my family, and traditions I grew up with in Mexico. So every year I feel excited about creating something inspired by the Day of the Dead to decorate my home and make the ofrenda for my grandpa, aunts and friends.
Sugar skulls are probably one of my favorite elements from the Day of the Dead’s celebration. These calaveritas are sometimes difficult to find in the United States. For that reason we made our own version of sugar skull using white chocolate in the past years. You can find the tutorials here and here in case you would like to make some, which I totally recommend because making chocolate sugar skulls is so much fun, especially for the kids!
If you are not into buying or making sugar skulls, what about printing them? I painted these calaveritas the other day, I shared them on Instagram and asked about what should I make with them and one of the first suggestions was that they would look super cute as cupcake toppers. So I put together a free printable that you can download, print and use to decorate cupcakes, muffins, gifts and other things that come to mind this Halloween and Day of the Dead.
Download the free printable here: Free Printable: Day of the Dead Sugar Skulls Cupcake Toppers
Here are more colorful and fun projects inspired by the Day of the Dead. Enjoy and share if you love them:
- How to Make an Ofrenda for the Day of the Dead. All the tips and elements.
- How to make punched paper for Halloween. Whether you want to make punched paper for your Day of the Dead altar or prefer to use it as a seasonal decoration, here are some tips for you.
- Make Punched Paper o Papel Picado with Colored Paper Sheets. The letter size sheets of paper are just the perfect size to make bright papel picado.
- Decorate the pictures of your altar or ofrenda with this free frame day of the dead printable.
- Read more about the elements of a Day of the Dead altar
- Couldn’t find marigold flowers for your altar of ofrenda. Here an easy way to make cempazuchitl paper flowers.
- Planning a day of the dead party? Here a fun way to welcome all your guests. Day of the dead colorful wreath DIY.
- Learn how to make chocolate skulls inspired by the Day of the Dead in 5 easy steps!
- What are the traditional colors for the Day of the Dead celebration?
- Just for fun. 10 awesome Day of the Dead coloring books.
- The perfect treat for your Day of the Dead party! The easiest way to decorate chocolate skulls for Day of the Dead.
- The cutest mini papel picado printable!
- Papel picado printable, a fun activity for the kids.
- Day of the Dead printable stickers that the kids can color and use to decorate everything they want!