DIY: Children’s Car Mural
Hello! For all those who have children, nephews/nieces, little brothers and sisters, this mural can be used to decorate a child’s bedroom without using complicated drawing techniques!
A while back I designed a room for some twin boys in Mexico, Alan and Jesus were very excited about the idea of having a themed room, the day they went shopping for furniture the two boys chose car-shaped beds they liked very much.
Considering that the two boys shared a bedroom, I decided to paint a mural on the wall where the furniture would be incorporated into the drawing and interact with it.
The kids loved the fact that the mural made their beds seem like cars driving on the highway. Besides cars never go out of fashion, even my husband and my dad, they’re still one of their favorite things.
This design was actually very easy to draw and paint, I’m sure you can do the same thing in your child’s room without being an artist and not using complicated techniques.
All you need is paint with a semi-gloss finish in the following colors:
- Black (the cactus spines)
- White (lines of the road and clouds)
- Green (Cactus)
- Yellow Mustard (Mountains)
- Blue (Sky)
- Grey (Road)
- Masking tape 3 / 4 “
- Economic tray
- Thin brush
- Start by deciding where you will place the beds.
- First draw the road, with the pencil draw lines in perspective that looks like a triangle but without a point.
- In no particular order let yourself draw the mountains using curves from beginning to end of the wall.
- Cactus are drawn on the road in different sizes to match the perspective. From largest to smallest in the distance.
- Draw the dashed lines. These white lines are like the cactus, the bigger and thicker to the smaller and thinner. One way to make it easier is to draw perspective guide lines imitating the road. Notice the black lines in the following image:
- You can make clouds with a sponge and some white paint. Before painting the clouds you must remove excess paint, it is better to make the clouds little by little. Remember that the clouds are not solid and not perfect so do not be afraid to try.
- You can add some spines to the cactus, use the thin brush to make the letter “V” like in the picture repeatedly and in various places.
I hope you can use this idea! Does your child like cars too? – Xo, Elba