DIY: How To Make Copper Light Sconces
A few months ago I was asked to make some copper lamps, and while I had some ideas, I honestly wasn’t really sure how to get started. After doing some googling and asking some people, I went to the local hardware store and got a punch tool and a hammer and was ready to get to work. Well, these lamps were for a project I was working on, a local Pub restoration and I needed 10 of them. The first one was hard but I was so excited about seeing the finished design that I didn’t complain, but by the time I was almost done with the second I was feeling pretty tired, my hands started to hurt a lot, not to mention the loud noises and what was worse, the holes didn’t really look that great.
Obviously I had to make some changes to my process, my hands were killing me, the design looked alright, but not exactly what I had pictured in my head before I got started. I sat down and though for a bit and came up with a new survival tactic, use a drill to make the holes instead of the punch tool and I have to say that it was so much easier, faster and the holes looked pretty good. Bending the sides was difficult too so we used a bender machine that belonged to a friend, but that was really out of necessity we need these done fast and looking professional, if this project would have been for my house I would have just done it myself with my hands, the results would be a bit more rustic but I love that too, I don’t recommend going out and buying all those expensive tools unless you are planning on using them a lot.
Here are the steps I followed to make punched copper lamps. It sounds so easy when I leave out all the mistakes and tests I made before I got the process down. Hope this helps anybody who’s interesting in these awesome accessories. Enjoy, be safe and have fun!
You can buy copper sheets in most home improvement stores. Ask them to cut the sheet in the size you want your lamp. I bought a big piece to make some test at first and I tried to cut that piece in two parts using wire cutters but failed miserably, I definitely do not recommend trying that, and it’s can be pretty dangerous too, that metal can get sharp when it’s cut. So I went back to the store asked them to cut it for me. They gave me ten 30” by 17” copper sheets ready to go, just need to cut the holes.
1. Draw your design on a piece of paper first! If you don’t want to make any kind of shape just make holes randomly, it looks great too. I made some different shapes for the pub, beer bottles, their logo, music symbols, stars and a bunch of other awesome stuff!
If you are making a design, when its ready on paper, tape it on the copper sheet.
2. I used the punch tool to help mark all the holes first because I didn’t want to drill with the paper on. You can also use a nail to make mark out your design, then remove the paper.
3. Drill of the holes.
4. Leave 2 inches on each side of the copper sheet to hang the lamp on the wall. Something like the drawing. Then drill some holes to support the lamp.
5. Make sure your design is perfect.
6. Now you are ready to bend the sides.
7. Put some nails in the wall and hang your new lamps!
You could also make a table lamp, a copper shade for a candle or all sorts of other coppery things using this same technique. Now using a simple light fixture on the wall and your brand new copper shade, your guests will all be wondering where you got that awesome new lamp!
Hope you enjoyed it! if you have any question feel free to send me a message.