Go Bold! Brighten Up Your Home with a Colorful Door (Steps)
Painting your front door in a bright color has become a great way to make a home feel renovated and stand out!
Have you been thinking about painting your door in a different color? Before you start:
- Search for colors you like on doors around your neighborhood, magazines or internet. Pinterest is my favorite platform to search for inspiration. I have a couple of colorful doors here.
- Do not forget to pay attention to the style and personality of your home. Is it modern or rustic? Also think about the materials used in the façade, does it have a wooden, ceramic or brick finish? Use those keywords when you search for ideas on the internet, so you find ideas of homes similar to yours. Example: Door Colors that Go with Red Brick
I’ve seen front doors in all sorts of colors, check out some of my favorites. I love these vibrant hues because they have such a happy and cheerful feeling.
Now, the technical details.
HOW TO PAINT A DOOR
Exterior Acrylic Paint
Plastic or newspaper
Roller and Brush
9-inch paint roller
1. Planning. Search for the perfect paint. The best paint for front doors is exterior acrylic paint because it is designed to protect your door for harsh conditions, and have mildew-resistant coating and resistance to peeling and blistering. Feel free to ask for more details about exterior products at your local paint store.
2. Preparing. Remember that no paint adheres to dirt or grease, so you have to clean the door before painting. Scrub the surface with a wet sponge. Then, lightly sand the surface with the fine-grit sandpaper. Allow the door to completely dry before painting.
Add tape around the edges and handles and a little plastic/newspaper on the floor to avoid paint splatters.
3. Applying. Apply that amazing new color you chose using a 9-inch roller and a small angled brush for the small details.
TIP. When painting a dark surface with a lighter color (like a dark gray to yellow) it is a good idea to use a layer of primer first.
4. Wait. Let the door dry for several hours.
5. Clean. Slowly remove the painter’s tape and start enjoying that beautiful new color!
Need some more inspiration. Check out these articles I found with more tips on how to paint doors: