How to Decorate a Small patio: Before and After
Disclosure: This is a compensated campaign in collaboration with Pier 1 Imports and Latina Bloggers Connect.
Since last week I’ve been working on decorating my small patio. I have been dreaming with a space with lots of color, a pair of comfortable chairs, flowers and pretty lighting. With so little space, I knew I needed to play with colors, textures and add fun details to inject my own personality in the project.
After spending hours shopping and looking at cushions (it was so hard to choose just one style, all of them were great!) I came back home with all the necessary goodies I found at my local Pier 1 Imports store. The things were so beautiful and I was so excited that it actually just took me a couple minutes to get everything in the right place.
Here is the before and after:
How to Decorate a Small patio. Steps and Tips:
1. Make a List. Before going shopping I recommend you make a list of all those things that you really need to create that patio you’ve always dreamed of. Measure your space if needed, especially if your patio is very small, like mine it’s actually a balcony, and you are afraid that the furniture would take a lot of the space.
Thinking ahead about all those details will help you in the selection process and will make you feel much more confident and enthusiastic. My inspiration board from last week was actually really helpful.
2. Go Shopping! This is probably the best part! When you go shopping remember to look for comfortable, functional and perfect sized furniture for your space. Since my patio is really small, I always look for ways to save space like buying stackable chairs like these or thinking of an original way to arrange flowers.
Tip. Take your time testing the furniture before purchasing. It is always good to be sure we’re bringing something worthwhile and that we truly love.
3. Clean. Cleaning floors and walls a bit before placing the furniture is not a bad idea. I swept a little bit and I instantly felt that the patio looked so much better.
4. Arrange the furniture. The best thing about balconies, terraces and small patios is that you do not need much to fill it up. Start placing the larger pieces first, in my case, it was the pair of chairs and table. And that fast I was done.
5. Time for Accessories! The thing with small patios is that they look empty if you only put a couple of chairs in the middle. The accessories really give it life and personality! I bought some colorful lanterns as a centerpiece, a couple of colorful string lights, some happy looking potted flowers that I actually put on my old uncomfortable chairs so they don’t get lost on the floor and a pair of fun and colorful cushions and pillows.
Tip. Lighting is really important to create a nice atmosphere on the patio. You do not need complicated systems, a few strings of lights and candles are ideal for a romantic dinner and not expensive at all.
6. Enjoy! When your balcony or small patio feels and looks amazing, go back to the kitchen and prepare a coffee or tea. Take your favorite book and sit down to enjoy your new, renewed and beautiful dream outdoor oasis!
Last week I spent some time painting the table and chairs in a vibrant yellow shade named “sunflower” that ended up looking lovely. Yesterday I also added some color to those terracotta planters using acrylic paint in different shades, they look so much happier now! Don’t you think? I love doing things like this to personalize my space and make myself feel home.
Now it’s your turn to add something fun to your patio and what better way to get inspired than with an awesome giveaway!
Enter the giveaway here and tell me, what would be the first thing you would buy to create your perfect outdoor oasis?