How to Make a Frida Kahlo Nicho
Use a photocopy, color pencils and other knick knacks to make a colorful Frida Kahlo Nicho for your home.
Some of you might know that July is Frida Kahlo’s birthday month. That’s why a few days ago we honored her by sharing some decoupaged earrings using our favorite portrait of the famous mexican artist. This month I have seen tons of pins, products, illustrations and other amazing things in tribute to Frida. That inspired me to make something original and unique for my workspace and add some color to a black and white portrait of Frida and frame it inside a shadow box that looks like a nicho.
I have always been fascinated by her colorful artwork and I adore the clothing and accessories she used to wear. So I tried to recreate her style using colored pencils, fabric scraps, buttons, small fabric flowers and other knick knacks that I had laying around the house.
This Do It Yourself project will let your imagination fly and you will love your unique and colorful Frida Kahlo nicho. Check out how to make yours:
- Wood Shadow Box (Similar to a nicho)
- Photocopy of Frida Kahlo
- Acrylic paint (All the colors you want!)
- Small fabric or paper flowers
- Colored pencils or markers
- A pair of earrings or buttons.
- Fabric scraps or other kind of appliques
- Start by painting the frame. I used a purple shade I really like.
- Then, paint a few details in Frida Kahlo’s portrait. I used color pencils and markers to add some color in Frida’s face and clothing. Add as much color as you like!
- Cut Frida Kahlo’s silhouette.
- Glue the portrait inside the nicho (Shadow box style wood frame)
- Now for the details. This is the fun part! Start by gluing the flowers around Frida’s head. Then the accessories, like the fabric scraps and appliques. I also used buttons as earring. All these details will give to your nicho a 3D effect. It’s really cool.
Your new Frida Kahlo nicho is ready! Where in the house are you going to put yours? Mine is in my workspace and it looks amazing!More DIYs and crafts inspired by Frida and more here.