How to Make a Unicorn Costume for your Dog
Make a ridiculously adorable unicorn costume for your dog this Halloween.
Dog Halloween costumes are the cutest things in the world! My dog hates them, I have to accept it, but that doesn’t stop me from looking for funny ways to dress him up because I love to take pictures to remember the occasion.
This year I have a bunch of ideas in mind, one of them was to make a unicorn costume for my pug, because well, I knew a pug unicorn would be ridiculously adorable!
Check out the tutorial below.
The quantity of fabric might vary depending on your dog’s size.
- 1 yard of white fabric. I got one that is a bit plasticky so it doesn’t get dirty
- ½ yards of iridescent plastic fabric
- Colored pipe cleaners
- Kraft paper or cardboard to make a mold
- Tape measure
Make a pattern for the costume. Something like the image below. Draw on the paper something similar to the shape I drew, just try to fit it to the size of your dog.
To make the pattern, take a piece of paper, fold it and trace the shape of your dog. It’s much easier when you draw the pattern folded in half, so when you cut it and open it it’s identical. You can test the paper pattern on your dog to see if it is too big or too small.
MAKE THE HOOD. PATTERN #1
To create the hood, draw a semicircular shape similar to the image above. You’ll need two pieces of this pattern, to sew it in the middle so it fits like a hood.
MAKE THE TORSO. PATTERN #2
- Make the pattern. To make the pattern #2 (as seen in the image above), draw by measuring from your dog’s neck (where the collar is) to the beginning of the tail.
- Cut the pattern #2 twice
- Sew torso and hood together so the costume has two sides. (See image below for more details)
For the details you are going to need to cut a few pieces. Check out the image below so you have an idea. You’ll need a ears, horn, tail, hair and the strips to close the costume.
HOW TO MAKE THE UNICORN HAIR
Mark with a pencil on the back of the torso where you want to go the hair. Sew two rectangular pieces of iridescent fabric. Cut several parts to make something that looks like fringe.
HOW TO MAKE THE UNICORN HORN
- Cut a triangle and sew it to closed. Fill it with wadding.
- With needle and thread, close the horn with small stitches on the bottom.
- With a thicker yarn decorates the horn. Holding the thread from the bottom and start wrapping it in an spiral.
- Sew the horn, ears, and hair to the costume with some stitches.
HOW TO MAKE THE UNICORN TAIL
Make a small hole in the back of the costume. Put the pipe cleaners inside and close the hole.
HOW TO MAKE THE UNICORN EARS
Cut two semi circles that look like ears out of the white fabric. Cut two semicircles of the iridescent fabric but smaller, and glue them on top of the ears.
Sew the horn, ears, and hair to the costume with some stitches.
HOW TO MAKE THE STRIPS TO CLOSE THE COSTUME
Cut 8 rectangles of iridescent fabric. Sew them together in reverse, so that when you turn them inside out they have two sides. something like this headband we made a few months ago. Glue some pieces of velcro on the back of the strips.
Sew the strips to the costume.
Your ridiculously adorable unicorn costume for your dog is ready to rock and roll!